Friday, May 6, 2011

Oh Grandama!


Shifting in my bed with every turn my body starts to sting. My eyes still closed, a lay there still wondering why i can feel heat lifting off my skin. I'm only four and with every movement my eyes start to water. The blanket rubbing against my body makes me want to cry. The pain is wretched and streams start to roll down my face. Teary eyed i limp out of bed with tiny little sweat beads on my forehead. "Mommy!" i yell. "Mommy!" 

She starts to walk towards me "Yes baby girl?" she says as shes turning the corner of the never ending hallway.

" I..."
"Oh my lordy!" 
Sobbing i say, "Mommy? My skin hurts all over."

My  mom is speechless. I look like a lobster and it is all thanks to my lovely grandma. Every once in a while i will spend a day with my grandma at her ranch. Well this time it was all day and only 110 degrees outside. I played in the grass, fed the horses, and found stuff to keep myself busy. My grandma was in charge of making sure i was taken care of. It just so happens she forgot to put sunscreen on me. IN A 110 DEGREE WEATHER AND SHE FORGETS TO PUT SUNSCREEN ON ME! I am only four how am i suppose to know to put it on. Come on Grandma you are suppose to know these things.

So eight whole hours in the sun and no sunscreen results in a four year old lobster colored girl. That evening i remember walking into some restaurant, my pink cowgirl boots clacking on the ground, my pink cowboy hat sinking over my eyes, and my pink jean vest and skirt rubbing against my body. With every step, "ow ow ow ow ow," through the parking lot and in through the door. Of course people laughed and some said wow and others were astonished. I was embarrassed and my cheeks were already brick red so you couldn't tell that i was embarrassed.

Oh Grandma! Why did you forget to put sunscreen on me?! Why!!!!

Anyway, back to me and my mommy.
She knew i was sunburned yesterday but it was worse the next morning. Still standing there speechless she walks away and comes back with a blue bottle filled with gooey stuff.

"Are you going to put that on me?"
"Yes sweetie."
"Oh no you are not mommy! That stuff looks gross!"
"It will make you feel better Brittany"
"Um okay i guess."

She smooths the Aloe Vera on my body, my self heater. "EWWW."  It is so cold but it felt so good on my sunburn. The bad part now is that i have to sit still. My  mom called my grandma and told her that i looked like a sad lobster and my Grandma started cackling. I snarled while i listened to their conversation. My Grandma apologized for FORGETTING to put sunscreen on her beautiful granddaughter. 

For a week i was as red as a lobster. That was the worst week of the year when i was four.

1 comment:

  1. LOL <- Sorry to use text talk, but I loved your post - I will never avoid sun block again

    ReplyDelete